Make your medication work for you.
We work with your physician to make custom compounded medication that meets your individualized needs.
At HB Pharmacy, we are acutely aware that every patient – even ones technically diagnosed with the same condition as another – can have widely varying needs. First and foremost, our goal is to help our patients stay healthy and maintain the best quality of life possible. That is why our pharmacists are experts at compounding medication designed to meet the individual needs of any patient.
Who do we create medicine for?
With a physician’s order, we create customized compounded medications (while adhering to rigorous quality standards) to meet your unique needs.
We specialize in the following compounds:
- Ketogenic-diet compliant medication for children with epilepsy
- Bioidentical hormone replacement therapy for women and men
- Pet medication
- Medication for oral conditions such as mouth sores
- Low dose naltrexone (oral) and topical pain medication
- Skin creams for scars, psoriasis, shingles, and other conditions
- And more!
What is compounded medication?
When we talk about compounding medication, we are referring to the pharmaceutical preparation of medication by a licensed pharmacist according to the unique needs of a patient. Someone can benefit from compounding for a wide range of reasons, including but not limited to:
-the exact combination or preparation may not be commercially available,
-a shortage or discontinuation of a necessary medication,
-the medication itself not being commercially available.
According to the U.S. Pharmacopeia Convention (USP), compounding is defined as “the preparation, mixing, assembling, altering, packaging, and labeling of a drug, drug-delivery device, or device in accordance with a licensed practitioner’s prescription, medication order, or initiative based on the practitioner / patient / pharmacist / compounder relationship in the course of professional practice.”
While that may sound complicated, it all boils down to one thing: customizing medication according to a patient’s individual needs.
How do pharmacists compound medication?
Depending on the patient’s needs, our pharmacists approach compounding medication in a number of different ways.
- Reformulating a drug to omit nonessential ingredients that the patient may be allergic to (like gluten, lactose, or dye).
- Customizing dosage or strength.
- Adding more palatable flavoring (to help with administering medication to a child or a pet).
- Changing the form of the medication (like topical creams, suppositories, transdermal gels, or specially flavored liquids).
The one limitation of compounding medication is that we cannot make exact copies of commercial available medications, as it is forbidden by law.
To learn more about compounding medication, schedule a free consultation with one of our expert pharmacists! At HB Pharmacy, we’re dedicated to helping you along your journey to better health. Our staff is dedicated to creating relationships with our customers that enable them to experience better health outcomes. We make it easy to order supplements – like our quarantine support kit – from our online shop. Alternatively, visit our location in North Arlington, NJ, call us at 1-201-997-2010, or fill out the form below to speak with a compounding pharmacist today!