For individuals living with diabetes, finding the right footwear can make a positive impact on their quality of life. Diabetic shoes ensure the feet are properly supported and protected from common issues like sores or calluses. Learn more about footwear for diabetics from HB Pharmacy.
How Diabetes Affects the Feet
Diabetes is a chronic disease that affects how the body processes blood sugar, known as glucose. There are two main kinds of diabetes: Type 1 and Type 2. Type 1 Diabetes occurs when the body can’t produce enough insulin, the hormone that helps glucose enter the cells and provide energy. Type 2 Diabetes occurs when the body stops responding properly to insulin.
Type 2 is more common – Cleveland Clinic estimates that it affects 10% of Americans. Patients who have high blood pressure, are over the age of 45 or have a family history of diabetes are more at risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes.
Over time, high blood sugar levels can lead to a range of health issues, from vision problems and kidney disease to a type of nerve damage called diabetic neuropathy. This form of neuropathy most often affects the legs and feet. Because patients with diabetes-related neuropathy may lose feeling in their feet, they may not notice cuts or sores that can develop into infections. And because diabetes can cause poor circulation, reduced blood flow to the feet makes it even more difficult for foot injuries to heal.
What Is Diabetic Footwear?
These shoes are specially designed for people living with diabetes and are usually sold through pharmacies or doctor’s offices. There are different kinds of footwear for diabetes, but these shoes often feature:
- A pressure-reducing footbed to properly support the feet
- Protective lining and minimal stitching inside the shoe to reduce friction or irritation
- Non-skid soles to help prevent falls
- Extra depth and a larger toe box to accommodate orthotics and foot deformities
Diabetic shoes typically come in different widths, which can be helpful for patients with swelling in the feet.
What Are the Benefits of Using Diabetic Footwear?
If you have diabetes, it’s important to be proactive. Taking good care of your feet and choosing quality footwear can help prevent problems down the road. Wearing specially designed diabetic shoes can:
- Prevent irritation and calluses
- Provide extra space for orthotic inserts
- Support the feet and properly distribute body weight
A pharmacist, podiatrist, or another medical specialist can help you choose the best type of diabetic shoes to fit your feet and accommodate any foot issues you have.
Caring for Your Feet When You Have Diabetes
A few basic steps can help minimize the risk of foot injuries. Follow these tips to take care of your feet:
- Wash your feet each day and keep them moisturized.
- Check your feet each day for problems like cuts, sores, or blisters.
- Don’t go barefoot indoors or outdoors. When indoors, wear socks or slippers to avoid cuts, splinters, or other issues.
- Put your feet up when sitting down to promote good circulation.
- Get your feet checked at every doctor’s appointment.
- Talk with your doctor if you have corns, calluses, or other problems causing foot pain.
Find Diabetic Shoes at HB Pharmacy
If you or your loved one is living with diabetes, HB Pharmacy is here to help. Serving patients in Northern New Jersey and the surrounding area, we’ve been caring for the community since the 1960s. Our staff is available to answer any questions you have about diabetic footwear and help you find the right shoes and inserts to protect your feet.
As a third-generation family business and compounding pharmacy, we’re committed to educating and empowering patients to help them improve their quality of life. We can also recommend specific supplements to help ensure you’re getting all the vitamins and minerals you need. For more information about diabetic footwear for ladies and men, as well as the other pharmaceutical products and services we carry, contact us today.